When you hear Summer, which is the one fruit that comes to your mind?
Summer is the longest of all the seasons available in India. It has its own fans and haters. For me personally, I like summer for just one reason that you tend to wear lovely dresses. Ha ha, Kidding 😛
But not to be missed is that it brings on various seasonal veggies and fruits along. It is the season for the King of fruits, Mango! Yes, summer season to some is a synonym to Mango 😉
Mango bears National Importance!
Did you know? Mango not only is of national importance in India, but also in Pakistan and the Philippines too.
There are a variety of Mangoes available in India varying in the price ranges and tastes. Based on the location the variety is grown and sold across.
Some types of Mango
- Alphonso, the king of mangoes. Also known as Hapoos, and one of the most expensive Mangoes. Produced in Indian states like Maharastra, Gujrat and Karnataka.
- Chausa, the yellow-golden mango gets its history from emperor Sher Shah Suri. This mostly grown in the northern parts of the country, And its sweetness is to die for.
- Dussehri, the luscious mango owes its birth to the Rohilla chieftains. These are sweet and small babies. I bet you can’t just have one 😛 Uttar Pradesh state is the largest producer of this type in India.
- Totapuri, as the name suggests this one comes is a unique shape. A too colourful from red, yellow and green. Cultivated in southern India.
- Langra, the story says the owner of the tree of this variety was a lame guy. Hence the name is Langra ;). This one is fibrous and has a sweet and tangy flavour. Abundant in the regions of Haryana, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
Season: Mid July-August
- Safeda, these are a beautiful yellow and fiberless mangoes. Have a sweet taste and are available from Andhra Pradesh.
- Sindoori, there are beautiful red top mangoes, hence called so. Extremely juicy and delicious to the core.
Season: Mid May-June
- Kesar, the expensive breed used to prepare Aamras. Resides from Ahmedabad, The fruit is known to have a very strong aroma and Sam is the taste.
Season: June-early July
There are ‘n’ number of other varieties available too. Some of them are hybrid too. Recently a new variety has been named as “Modi Mango”
How to choose best Mangoes?
Choosing the best of the King of Fruits, Mango is an art in itself. You ought to find the ones that are firm but yield to slight pressure. Also, it is very important to check the skin of the fruit. Make sure it is unbroken and the colour is a gradient from green to yellow, orange or red.
In case you ought to ripen a tender green mango, place the unripe mangoes in a paper bag. Avoid buying mangoes that have too many black spots, they are an indication of being overripe.
Although mango is a summer fruit, it is important to store them in a cool place for a longer shelf life. And enjoy the taste better 🙂
Benefits of eating Mango
- Good for Eye Health
- Keeps Blood Pressure under control
- Good for Skin
- Helps in Digestion
- Good for Heart
- Improves Sex Life
- Boost Memory
- Weight Gain
When available in abundance we tend to invent various delicacies for the same. Here are few of my favourites. You can share your favourite dishes made of Mango.
- Mango Lassi
- Mango Milkshake
- Green Mango Chutney
- Mango Ice cream
- Mango Pickel
There are various Mango festivals held in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Goa, Lucknow, Ahmedabad which are surely heaven for Mango Lovers. In India Mango is treated more than just a fruit, it’s a cultural legacy.
The mango is also treated as a symbol of Good luck and prosperity. Mango leaves are used at various pujas and ceremonies in India.
I bet everyone one has their special mango stories from childhood. From climbing the trees to having like a dozen of them at a go. The King of Fruits, Mango has, is and will be a crucial part of everyone’s life. India has been cultivating this juicy, flavourful and delightful fruits for almost 4000 years now. History has a say here 😛 Being Chatori 😉
Hope.. Good days would be back soon!!
Can’t agree more 🙂
This time we won’t be able to eat due to corona virus but hope Corona ends soon before mango season
Agreed! Hope everyone is safe amidst the coronavirus outbreak and this shall pass soon.