Modak is a sweet served to Lord Ganesha on Ganesh Chaturthi festival, widely celebrated all over India, especially relevant in Maharashtra.
Therefore I thought of preparing modak for this occasion. And have shared a step-by-step recipe for deep fried modak with sweet, chewy coconut stuffing and a very crispy outside covering.
It is a very simple and easy recipe for you guys to follow. Just make a roti, add stuffing, pinch and seal the edges together properly and finally deep fry! Enjoy the delicious Modaks! 😉
Preparation time: 30-45 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
Servings: 15 modaks
- For the stuffing:
– grated Coconut 1.5 cup
– shredded Jaggery(gud) 1 cup
– Cardamom powder 1/2 tablespoon
– Dry fruits of your choice/quantity
- For the outer cover:
– All purpose flour(maida) 1 cup
– Semolina(suji or rava) 1/2 cup
– Salt: a pinch
– Ghee/oil 1 tablespoon
– Milk 4-5 tablespoon
How to make Fried Modak [Step-by-step recipe with Photos]
- For the stuffing
- First of all, take a pan and turn the heat on medium. Put coconut, jaggery and cardamom powder into the pan.
- Mix them well and keep stirring it continuously. Let it cook!
- Soon the jaggery will melt down, cook it till the mixture is semi-dry. It may take 5-10 mins, Do not overcook, because it may make the mixture too hard.
Let the stuffing cool for a while, in the process, prepare for the outer covering
- For the outer covering
- Take all purpose flour, semolina, salt in a bowl. In addition to it add a tablespoon of ghee/oil and mix it well with your fingers.
- Also, add milk to this mixture and knead it to make a bit stiff but smooth dough(This is the most important part of the process)
- Once this is done furthermore cover the dough with a wet cloth and let is rest for around 10 minutes.
- After 10 mins make small balls from the dough.
- Roll each ball into small and thin circle/roti
- And now put the stuffing inside the circle/roti and furthermore, apply some maida+water or milk on the edges using a brush or your fingertips. Since this will hold the roti together when you will mould it to a shape.
- Finally to give it a shape, start pinching the edges using your fingers and thumb as demonstrated in the picture below. This needs a bit of practice, the nearer the pleats are, the more beautifully it moulds.
- Now get all the pleats together and pinch them to seal it(this needs a bit of practice to make it perfect)
- Deep fry the modaks
- Heat the oil on medium in a pan. Check the oil temperature by dropping a small dough. The rule here is if the dough comes up too fast the oil is too hot, if it takes too much of a time then it cold, the ideal temperature is if it takes around 2-3 seconds to come up
- Hence fry the modaks till they turn deep brown in colour and it seems crispy from all the sides.
- Remove it and let it cool before serving
Most noteworthy, moulds for making modak are also easily available in the market, so if you want to avoid the pain!
Offer them as prasad to Lord Ganesha and enjoy these delicious Modaks! Being Chatori! 😛
Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your
web site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?
The account aided me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent idea
There is an option to subscribe on the right side of the page.
Hi, I wish for to subscribe for this blog to get hottest updates, thus where can i do
it please assist.
There is a subscribe option available on the right bar.
I pay a visit daily some sites and information sites to read posts, but this web site presents feature based content.
I hope you like it!
Asking questions are actually good thing if you
are not understanding anything entirely, but this article presents good understanding even.
Thank you! Hope it is useful 🙂
I got this site from my pal who told me regarding this web page and now this time I am
browsing this web site and reading very informative
Glad you like it! Thank you 🙂
Wow, amazing blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for?
you made running a blog look easy. The whole
glance of your web site is great, as neatly as the content material!
Thank you! It has been a year now…
Hello! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you have here on this post.
I will probably be returning again to your weblog for more
Thank you so much for appreciating!
I don’t have any idea how I ended up being here,
but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a well known blogger in case you aren’t already Cheers!
Thank you so much 🙂
Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and exposure!
Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve included you guys to
thank you for your appreciation! 🙂
Ahaa, its good conversation on the topic of this paragraph here at this web site, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.
Thank you so much for your time! Appreciated 🙂
Ahaa, its fastidious conversation on the topic of this post at this place at this
webpage, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place. http://bing.org/
Thank you so much for your time 🙂
It is the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy.
I have read this post and if I may just I desire to recommend
you some attention-grabbing issues or suggestions.
Maybe you can write next articles relating to
this article. I want to read even more things about it! http://bing.net
Hi Frank, Thanks for your time! What kind of issues or suggestions you want to put across here!
Gud one…Will surely try this!
I am glad you liked it! Do try and share your experience and pictures @ChatoriDiaries on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter 🙂 Enjoy!
Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate? http://yahoo.co.uk
Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please contact us at email@example.com.
Also follow us @ChatoriDiaries on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more such updates.